The Virginia D.A.R.E. Training Center was established as a cooperative effort. This center was established to provide the standardized training for D.A.R.E. officers in Virginia and to ensure the integrity of the D.A.R.E. program. The training center also provides assistance to D.A.R.E. America by providing staff for training hosted by D.A.R.E. America. The role of the Virginia D.A.R.E. Training Center is to provide:
- An initial 80-hour D.A.R.E. training course for law enforcement officers who will teach the curriculum in the elementary schools and middle schools.
- D.A.R.E. Mentor training includes an additional 40 hours of D.A.R.E. instruction and 80 hours of apprenticeship for law enforcement officers who will work with and train other officers as instructors. This training is available only through D.A.R.E. America and the officer must be approved to attend by the Virginia D.A.R.E. Training Center.
- An additional 40 hours of training for law enforcement officers who will teach the D.A.R.E. Senior High School Curriculum.
Training for Officers who are going to instruct the D.A.R.E. Community Education Adult Program. The these training modules are currently under revision.
- 24 to 40 hours of D.A.R.E. In-service training to bring the most recent information, materials, and evaluation results to the attention of law enforcement instructors and education personnel who work with the officers in the schools.
- Educational and Curriculum updates as required due to curriculum changes and as mandated by D.A.R.E. America.
- Assistance for D.A.R.E. America with national training seminars
- Assistance for D.A.R.E. International with overseas training seminars
VIRGINIA D.A.R.E. TRAINING CENTER
Cell: (757) 890-3273
Fax: (855) 825-6216
State Coordinator: Sgt. Mark Medford